Saturday, April 29, 2006

Jazz Fest

OK evacuees, ex-pats and friends of NOLA: MSN will be presenting free live webcasts of selected performances at Jazz Fest. This is one amazing lineup of NOLA and Louisiana talent, with Bruce Springsteen and Dave Matthews thrown in for good measure.

Try to visualize me somewhere around the edge of the crowd Sunday afternoon, gyrating and grooving, just as I'll be imagining a few tens of thousands of my friends and neighbors around me as I sway in my mother-in-law's Fargo basement. She's due to leave for her lake cabin to do some pre-season cleanup, so I don't have to worry about her calling the guys in the white coats as I celebrate my own personal Fest.

End of Sunday at the Fest was always a spiritual experience for me, when the combination of beer, sun and music transports me to a place usually involving sweat lodges or drumming. It's part of the magic of New Orleans, a special sort of voodoun available to all willing to surrender to it, to be possessed by the music and transported to the place all rythem and song are born.

If sometime tomorrow night as you walk walk out through the slow crowds, you can't help but think you saw me, well, the Folse genes are strong, and there are a lot of near-Doppelgangers roaming around southeast Louisiana. Or perhaps, this time, the magic will take me a stop farther than it has in the past, and that glimpse out of the corner of your eye of a guy that looks a lot like me might be, well, shouldn't you be watching the stage, or just swaying with your eyes closed?

The Web Cast Schedule:

3:00-4:30 p.m.
Sonny Landreth
GalacticGospel
(TBA)
Dr. John

4:30-6:30 p.m.
Allen Toussaint with Elvis Costello
Beausoleil
Terence Blanchard
Herbie Hancock

6:30-8:00 p.m.
Keb' Mo'
Dave Matthews Band
Bruce Springsteen and the Seeger Sessions Band

Anybody got a recipe for Crawfish Monica?

web casting





Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

"And when we speak we are afraid our words will not be heard nor welcome, but when we are silent we are still afraid. So it is better to speak remembering we were never meant to survive." -- Audie Lorde

Any copyrighted material presented here is done so for the purposes of news reporting and comment consistent with USC 17 Chapter 1 Title 107.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?